Tuesday, July 12

Such a beautiful blessed morning!

This morning I woke up at 5:30 am.  I never wake up that early.  I had a headache and it is still bothering me some (leftovers from this stupid sinus infection! grr) Well I figured since I was awake I knew I would feel better if I just got up.  So I did.  The weather outside is so nice right now 77 degrees.  When I went out to do chores at 6am it was so beautiful with the sun peeking over the treeline.  The chickens all looked at me like I was crazy but I opened their doors anyway lol.  They usually don't get let out of the coop until 8 or later.

One of my little Cochin/EE roosters finally found his crow; he and my silkie rooster were having a match. LOL!  It was so cute.  I am thinking about getting some more of the banty chickens, I have just fallen in love with them.  I found an ad on CL that has several mixed Cochin/Silkie/EE chicks all ages.  Which is perfect since that is the mix that I already have.  I think they are so adorable and would love  for them to hatch out more chicks next spring.

I have another broody EE right now.  It is our other white EE- haven't named her yet but I am letting her sit on 4 eggs.  I hope if she hatches them out that she will be a better mother than the other one was.  I wonder what a RIR/Silkie or a BR/Silkie looks like?  She is sitting on brown eggs and I know some of the eggs are being fertilized. 

I have chicks hatching in the incubator-their due date was yesterday but none hatched yesterday.  I had 2 hatch on Sunday and they are little Cochins.  I have one that pipped last night so there is still hope that some more of them will hatch.  The peacocks are due next Monday, but I am afraid that only 1 or 2 is going to hatch.  I feel bad for Joy- he is the owner of the pea eggs.  He gave me 7 and 2 out of 7 is not very good.  I guess he has only had 7 peachicks hatch out of 30 some eggs so far this spring.  I wish I could find him some cheap peachicks to give him as a present.  He gave 2 pea chicks the last time I hatched for him, but I am so in love with those two.  They are only about a month old but they have such a personality already!  I can't wait until they get older.

I ended up buying 2 bucks on Saturday from the lady in Tunas.  I bought 1 New Zealand and 1 Californian.  I am hoping for a better year this year on breeding.  I think I will wait until the end of August to start breeding though.  I don't want the mamas to get too hot.  I was 9 months pregnant in August and I don't have fur like they do.  It was miserable and I had AC! LOL

Chris and Dad baled more straw yesterday evening.  So far they have baled 273 bales.  They have quite a bit left to bale though.  We have a tractor pull tonight in Lebanon though so they won't get to bale tonight.  The pull starts at 7 but we have to go as soon as we can.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How exciting, you should take pictures. I am interested in all these animals.

Erin said...

I will try to take some pictures soon. =0)