Monday, July 4

4th of July

Well today is the 4th of July...

When I was little this was a fun filled day and it makes me sad that my kids won't have the memories that I have.  I remember going over to my grandparents' house and BBQing, eating homemade ice cream and drinking "colored" pop.  They would have big metal tubs full of ice and pop- orange, grape, strawberry, cream soda, etc  The older cousins would all go down to the milk barn to set off firecrackers while the younger ones would play with the snappies and smoke bombs.  We would play softball and other games.  Once it became dark we would all gather our lawn chairs and blankets out in the orchard.  A few of the older cousins would set up the fireworks out on the HWY (yes the hwy) and start the show.  The younger cousins were given sparklers to "write and draw in the sky".  Before we went home for the night we would catch some lightening bugs and put them in a jar with some holes poked through with an old beat up ice pick.  Those were the days.

My parents are just too busy to stop and do anything like that these days.  It makes me sad.  No one seems to like to celebrate anymore- it always seems like a chore these days.  Mom said she wasn't going to do anything because she didn't have time to clean her house.  Who really care if there are a few cobwebs or the endtables are dusty?  We are going to be outside most of the time or in the pool.  But no she is not even home today.  My dad's mom is house-ridden with her broken hip and we have to take care of her.  My mom's mom is house ridden because she smokes too much and has made herself sick.  My mom's dad works way too hard and pushes himself until he can't go anymore.  He is way to old to be out mowing hay in 100 degree weather and no cab on the tractor.  He can barely walk across a parking lot with out holding on to grandma's wheelchair.  yet he thinks he needs to bale hay.  He doesn't even have very many cows, but he has land and is tight as they come.  He will sell the hay.  We all think he should just rent his land out.  I know my husband would like to rent it.

I think we will probably go out to the college tonight and watch the big fireworks display-that is if the kids aren't afraid like they were last year.

Yesterday Chris and I took them to their very first movie- Cars 2.  Sophia was afraid for the first few minutes, but she got over it.  Cooper LOVED it.  He wants to go back today.  I wouldn't mind if it weren't so expensive!  $5 for him and $8.50 for me!  It seems kinda pricey to me.

Today Chris and dad were going to start baling the straw, but miraculously it is too wet.  Yes it finally rained yesterday.  We are not complaining about it being too wet.

I would like to take the kids swimming today in the river, but Chris is not home, and I can't take them by myself.  Cooper likes to play in the water- Sophia is not so sure about the water, but she likes to splash a bit with her hands.

I grilled corn and hot dogs for lunch, but the corn wasn't very good.  I bought some cream soda to drink but it is not as good as those I had on the fourth when I was growing up.  I really miss those days.

1 comment:

Purewater said...

Great post!

I appreciate your memories of Independance Days of the past!

We took our kids to see Cars 2 as well, and it was at an old time drive-in theater! It wasn't their first time seeing a movie, but it was their first time seeing one at at drive-in! We had to drive over an hour and a half to get there, but it was great fun!

God bless,

~Eric