Monday, June 27

Baby Muscovies! LOTS of them!!

Yesterday our last white duck finally hatched out her babies.  Man it takes a long time for muscovies to hatch! 40 days!! which is a long time compared to the 18-21 days it takes chickens!  My husband had gave up on the eggs hatching so I candeled them last week (not an easy task with an over protective mother duck!!) Most showed good development, I threw out a few clear ones, which still left 21 eggs in her nest.  She has 19 babies now!! 20 hatched but 1 died-there is still one egg in there that I think will hatch-it is pipped and I could see movement!  She is such a good mama!

This picture was taken yesterday morning when there was still a few eggs that hadn't hatched yet, now there is only 1 egg left.  Most of them are all yellow (whites or chocolates!! I have a few broken black ones that will be beautiful)

We had one of our silkie hebs sitting on 1 silkie egg out in the barn but a racoon got them both.  Our fuzzy little yellow kitten has been gone for 2 days now and I found one of the others in the yard 2 days ago dead. :( So now we only have 3 of the little kittens left.  I hope nothing happens to them.





Our tom turkey- Mr Gobbles got out of his pen the other day and was just standing out in the yard---I was already taking pics, so here he is.









Yesterday was Chris' 27th birthday.  We didn't do too much, I think we are going to try and go camping sometime in the near future.  I have never camped with the kids, so that we be an experiance to say the least.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Love Muscovies... My duck hens hatched out 16 so far this year. I lost my favorite lil duckling (1.5 months) yesterday. Good luck with yours. Cute kitties too.