Thursday, February 2

6 more weeks of winter...

Wait! What Winter? Today it is 60 degrees, sun is shining and it is beautiful outside!  We could use some rain, it is already the 2nd month of the year and we are already 1/2" behind for the year.  Hopefully we aren't dry like last year, I am planning a HUGE garden!  Ordering my seeds today!!!  Need to get some of them babies started! YAY! Some pics to show that everything thinks it is SPRING!




I have been bit by the canning bug once again.  Aldi's  last week had baby carrots on sale for $0.49 a pound...so silly me goes and buys 21 bags.  They also had pineapple for $0.99 each.  I bought 3.  I canned carrots Saturday and Tuesday.  Today I am canning pineapple with grapefruit! 3 pineapple and 2 grapefruit made 7 pints! whoo baby!






Also I have a recipe to share with you all.  Tuesday night I made what I call Stuffed Noodles, it is a recipe I made up a few months ago and my hubby and I really like it!

Ingredients:
2 packages cream cheese, room temp
1 box frozen chopped spinach
bacon grease and 2 pieces bacon
A little bit of heavy cream
salt, garlic powder, onion powder
noodles either JUMBO SHELLS or MANICOTTI, cooked and cooled
mushrooms are optional

Fry your bacon (I usually just fry a whole package to get the grease) after your bacon is done add the spinach to your grease, cook it until heated through, crumble 2 pieces of bacon in it. Meanwhile in a mixing bowl add 2 packages of cream cheese and a bit of cream (I really don't measure this I just pour a bit in here and there) add your spinach, mushrooms and mix it all up. Add seasonings to taste.

After cream cheese mixture is well blended add mixture to a gallon sized ziplock baggie, cut off the corner and squeeze mixture into noodles (think pastry bag). Lay noodle in a casserole dish, pour a jar of Spaghetti sauce over the top. Sprinkle cheese (any kind of shredded cheese really - I use Mozzerella mostly though)

Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until cheese is all melted and bubbly. Serve.

This is a great way to get the kids to eat spinach!



2 comments:

Mrs. Farmer said...

Honestly, my kids LOVE spinach! Do you know what they WON'T eat??? CANNED CARROTS! That's right; my weird kids like spinach and hate cooked carrots. They would be happy as a clam if I just put them on their dinner plates cold (or, occasionally, Mr. Farmer will warm them in a pan on the stove and candy them with brown sugar).

Mrs. Farmer said...

Oh yeah, and here in the mountains in PA we haven't had snow since Halloween. Wh?!?!?!