Friday, April 15

It rained ALL NIGHT LONG!

wow it started raining about 10pm last night and literally rained all night long!  Along with lots of thunder and lightening.  So glad my kids aren't scared of storms like I was when I was little.  Suprisingly the ground soaked up most of it, since it was a nice steady rain, but I don't remember the last time it has rained for such a long period of time.  We needed the rain this time, the garden has just been sitting out there and not growing whatsoever.  We have potatoes, peas, lettuce, carrots, and green beans planted.  NEED to plant the onions but haven't been anywhere to get sets yet. The strawberries didn't really come back after alst year, I think we need to put them in a different spot.  We planted 100 plants last year and only like 6 came back :( not very good odds.  Though the ones that did come back are bloomed and will most likely make strawberries...

I love the taste of fresh strawberries- I wish I knew why the strawberries in the stores taste nothing at all like fresh strawberries out of the garden.  I remember mom and dad used to have a HUGE strawberry patch-they had like 400 plants and people would come and pick strawberries--Mom and dad never charged anyone--most people were from church or just from the community.  My granny and papa always had strawberries too-theirs were bigger and better than mom's. I think it was because they had more room to grow-their patch wasn't as big.  Our thornless blackberries are all leafed out, but the rasberries aren't looking so hot. 

Spring is such an exciting time to me.  Not just flowers blooming, babies being born, and warm weather though...it is also everyone getting out into the fields--working up the ground.  Dad spread fertizler the past few days, our neighbors have been plowing, discing, and rolling their fields, Chris got the hay baler out and has been working on it, yards are being mowed again (I mowed ours last weekend), and it just seems people are in a better mood.  People are happy even though we are all going through rough times financially and farmers are really tight on cash with the prices of every thing being sky rocketed and don't even talk to me about fuel prices!  Used to everybody wanted diesel thing because diesel was cheaper--farm diesel is almost the same price as unleaded!!  Regular diesel is 20-30 cents higher than unleaded!  One of our friends was down at the pumps the other day filling up his tractor...$350 later... ugh!  It is really hard to get anything done with fuel being that expensive!

Okay I am going to quit rambling about that lol!

So I started on my nestboxes the other night after getting home from town.  Chris is dually impressed as I.  They are coming along nicely.  I am makeing 2 rows of 3 with storage on top.  I have more done than what is in this pic, but I took this before working on them yesterday:
I am repurposing the wood that Chris used when he attempted to build a storage building...2 years ago!  lol  He will never live that one down, like I have said before- Chris is NOT a carpenter.  But then again I didn't really think I was either--but I do throughly enjoy this!

The chicks are growing like crazy, especially the meaties.  I can't believe how fast they grow and how messy they are!  I really don't like thinking about it though.  I don't think I will ever raise this kind again; if we do raise meaties I will go for a heritage meat bird instead of the jumbo cornish X.


3 weeks old!

I have this one duck that just amazes me by her coloring!  I always thought she was just black, but yesterday she was in the sunlight in a certain way, and her feathers are different colors! So beautiful!!

I just love the greens and blues, reminds me of a peacock- which I would LOVE to have but they are soooo $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!! I saw an adult on CL go for around $300 for ONE!! insane.

Oh and I took this pic of the rooster yesterday evening--- EVIL ROOSTER!! lol

I think I am going to name him Satan!

No comments: